ANDHRA PRADESH AKADEMI OF SCIENCES (APAS)
(Formed as part of Andhra Pradesh State Reorganization
with original Registration No. 552 of 1974)
The “Andhra Pradesh Akademi of Sciences” (APAS), come into existence with the initiative of the great visionary Sri P.V.G. Raju, the then Education Minister, Govt. of Andhra Pradesh, who mooted the formation of a forum for all scientists and researchers in the state. Thus, the “Andhra Pradesh Akademi of Sciences” (APAS) founded in 1963, comprises distinguished Scientists, Engineers, Technologists including Medical fraternity covering the entire spectrum of Science and Technology disciplines.
The aims and objectives of the Akademi are mainly the advancement of science in Andhra Pradesh by providing a forum for discussing scientific developments, propagating scientific knowledge among the people and publication of books and Journals on Science.
The Andhra Pradesh reorganization Act, 2014, enacted by the Indian Parliament, proclaimed the bifurcation of the Andhra Pradesh state into two states viz, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. Consequent to this act, the A. P. Akademi of Sciences registered earlier under No: 552 of 1974, under the Andhra Pradesh (Telangana Area) Public Societies Registration Act, 1350 Fasli (Act. I of 1350 F), is also bifurcated into Andhra Pradesh Akademi of Sciences (APAS) and Telangana State Akademi of Sciences (TSAS). The General Body elected the New Executive Council to A.P. Akademi of Sciences, which started functioning independently with effect from 30th April, 2015. Both Akademies, having similar objectives, also propose to continue to work in tandem to the extent possible.
Both the Academies, having evolved and carved out of APAS, shall have equal claim on the history, activities carried out, contributions made by its esteemed Fellows and Members and awards received from its inception in 1963 till its bifurcation in April 2015. Thus the present perception of registration of Andhra Pradesh Akademi of Sciences in the State of Andhra Pradesh is to be conceived as an Akademi formed with the continued support of Govt. of Andhra Pradesh with a good standing since its inception in 1963.
The Society shall be called the Andhra Pradesh Akademi of Sciences (APAS).
The Registered office of the Akademi will be located in Acharya Nagarjuna University Campus, Guntur. The Directorate of Science will be located in the Regional Centre area of APAS at Andhra University Campus, Visakhapatnam.
The objectives of the Akademi are
- The Advancement of Science in Andhra Pradesh
- To provide a forum for reading and discussing scientific papers.
- Propagation of scientific knowledge among people by organizing lectures, seminars, Symposia, tours and excursions, popular exhibitions and distribution of books of popular sciences.
- Establishment of a Science Museum.
- Establishment of a Library with a reading room to serve as a central library for all scientific workers.
- Publication of books and journals on science
- To secure and manage funds and endowments for the promotion of science.
- To assist voluntary science organizations.
- To do and perform all other acts, matters and things that may assist in, conduce to, or be necessary for the fulfillment of the above mentioned aims and objects of the Akademi.
The Akademi shall consist of following categories of Members. The total Founder and Full Members, (Fellows) of the Akademi shall be limited 1000. To start with, the Membership, be limited to 500. Thereafter not more than 30 members including five Foreign Fellows will be elected every year.
As a consequence of bifurcation of APAS into APAS & TSAS, and as per the Resolutions of the General Body meeting held in April, 2015 of erstwhile APAS, all the fellows who have exercised their option to be associated with either APAS or TSAS will automatically become the Fellows of both APAS & TSAS. However, such Fellows will have voting right only in the Akademi opted by them. The limiting number mentioned in 4.1 above will also include such members.
Full Member (Fellow): Full member will be designated as ‘Fellow’. The Fellow shall have a right to vote in the General Body Meeting on the issues raised and also to elect the Council of the Akademi. A Fellow of the Akademi may nominate person(s) from Academics/R&D/ Industry, whom they wish to be considered by the Council for election as “Foreign Fellow” and who are of Indian origin and have contributed to the growth of science in India in general and to the State of Andhra Pradesh in particular. The Fellow, elected under this Category, will be designated as”Foreign Fellow”. Fellows and Foreign Fellows of the Akademi shall be entitled to the exclusive use after his / her name, the abbreviated designation ‘FAPAS’.
Associate Member (Associate Fellow): An “Associate Member” shall be designated as ‘Associate Fellow’. The Associate Fellow shall have a post-graduate or higher degree in S&T. Application for the Associate membership shall be supported by two Fellows and approved by the Council. Such members shall have the right to use the library, reading room, to attend the lectures, symposia, seminars and attend the meetings where papers are read. But they have no vote and they cannot take any part in the administration of the Akademi nor can they take part in the business meetings of the Akademi.
Companion Member: Those who are actively interested in the objectives of the Akademi may be accepted by the Akademi, on application, supported by two Fellows and approved by the Council. They shall have all the rights and privileges of Associate Members. Science Teachers from various educational institutions may be admitted on application under this category.
Institutional Member: Those S&T Institutions / Industries and their R&D Units / Universities and Overseas Universities and Institutions of S&T may be accepted by the Akademi to enroll them as “Institutional Members” and they shall have the following privileges:- (a) To participate in the Akademi activities like Seminars / Symposia / Popular Lectures / Panel discussions / Exhibitions; (b) To encourage Research Fellowships / Travel Fellowships; (c) To exchange Scientific Cooperation through publication of papers in the Journal/s ; (d) To participate in Annual Convention ; (e) To nominate Scientific Staff for the Annual Awards; (f) To participate in all the activities for the Advancement of Science and propagation of scientific knowledge among people by organizing different activities; (g) To utilize this Forum for reading and discussing scientific papers.
Council of the Akademi
The administration, direction and management of the affairs of the Akademi shall be entrusted to the Council composed of the officers of the Akademi-namely a President, two Vice-Presidents, a Secretary, a Treasurer, an Editor of Publications, together with 8 (eight) Fellows. “Principal Secretary / Secretary” to Government of Andhra Pradesh in the Education Department shall be an Ex-officio Member in the Council of the Akademi. The past president who has recently held the office of President shall be an Ex-officio Member of the Council for a period of one year. All these members who will discharge their functions in an Hon orary capacity.
Election and Admission of Members
- The election of Fellows shall be governed by regulations framed by the Council. Any deviation from the procedure laid down below can be made applicable only after reference to the General Body of Fellows.
- All the Fellows who have exercised option to be associated with APAS, can exercise right for voting and contesting for Akademi positions.
- In the first year of the Akademi, the number of Fellows shall be limited to 500 including those mentioned under 4.1.
- The election of Fellows shall be limited to 30 per year, (including the annual intake of 5 Foreign Fellows) till such time as the total number of Fellows reaches 1000.
- Each nominee shall be supported from personal knowledge by at least three Full Members (Fellows).
- The selection from the total list of candidates recommended to the Akademi for election shall be made by the Council but the final election shall be made by the General Body of the Akademi.
- Provision shall be made in regulation for election of persons, who, in the opinion of the Council of the Akademi, have rendered exceptional service to the cause of Science or Technology within the limits mentioned in Rule 6.4.
Criteria for Election to the Fellowship
Full Member (Fellow)
Every Person for election, as a Fellow, shall satisfy the Council that he/she fulfills the following criteria.
A Fellow is a person in Academics. R &D, industry and Government, who is a native of Andhra Pradesh and working by profession anywhere in India, or an Indian citizen working in Andhra Pradesh by profession at the time of election and who has made outstanding contributions in S&T and continues to be actively engaged in his field. The criterion for election to the fellowship may be one or more of the following: (a) exceptional contributions in S&T; (b) rise to position of high responsibility after having demonstrated distinctive eminence by virtue of his personal achievements of merit; (c) national / international honours and awards and (d) one or more areas relating S & T and effective leadership of an organization.
A person for election, as a Foreign Fellow, shall satisfy the council that he / she is engaged in profession of S&T in a position of high responsibility and has attained eminence by virtue of his / her outstanding contribution in the field. He / she will be of Indian origin and normally resides outside India. Additional achievements which may merit election as a foreign Fellow are: (a) Membership of a professional body and status in his / her country i.e., similar to that of a Fellow of APAS; (b) contribution to the growth and development of Science & Technology. The nominations should be sent in writing in the prescribed form with a brief bio-data and the achievements of the persons proposed so as to reach the office of the A.P. Akademi of Sciences annually.
Intimation of election of Fellows
The Secretary shall send a written announcement of the election of the candidates who have been duly elected and shall therewith send a copy of the obligation to be signed and of the Rules and Regulations for the time being in force.
Admission and Membership fee
The admission fee for each Full Member (Fellow) shall be Rs. 1000/- and the annual Membership fee shall be Rs. 2,000/- from the year of admission. However, if the admission is done after 30th June half the admission fee will be charged for the year of admission. A onetime payment of Rs.10, 000/- (Rupees ten thousand only) will qualify the Fellow for life membership.
If this fee be not paid by such person within 2 months after the issue of the intimation of election as Full Member (Fellow) in his / her favour, such election shall become inoperative; provided that the Council shall have the power to reinstate him with full privileges after his admission and the first annual subscription have been paid within a period not exceeding 12 months from the date of his/her election. In the case of Full Members (Fellows) elected under provisions of Rule 6.6, the Council may at their discretion, be exempted from payment of admission fee.
No Person, although duly elected according to the Rules and Regulations of the Akademi shall be entitled to exercise the rights and privileges of membership; nor shall his/her name be entered in the list of Full Members (Fellows) until he/she has paid his admission fee and his first annual subscription and until he has signed and returned the obligation.
9.4 The payment of such admission fee and first annual subscription and the signature of the obligation, shall be the commencement of effective membership and shall be equivalent to the expression of a direct acquiescence in all Rules and Regulations of the Akademi then in existence, and of an undertaking to be bound by them and by such as may thereafter be passed, as herein after provided.
Rules 9.1 to 9.4 shall be written or printed on the letter of announcement of election sent to members by the Secretary under Rule 8.
Obligation of the Subscriber
Every person elected as Full Member (Fellow) of the Akademi shall, before his /her admission subscribe to the obligation in the following words:
“I, the undersigned, do hereby engage that I will endeavor to promote the interest and welfare of the Andhra Pradesh Akademi of Sciences and observe its Rules and Regulations so long as I continue to be a full Member (Fellow) thereof”
Privileges of Full Members (Fellows)
The Full Members (fellows) shall be entitled to the following rights and privileges:
- To be present at all General Body Meetings with a provision to exercise voting rights.
- Propose and recommend candidates for full membership and other categories of membership.
- To introduce Visitors at the General Body meetings of the Akademi with the permission of the President.
- To have personal access to the library of the Akademi.
- To fill any office in the Akademi on being duly elected thereto, subject, however, to the provision that any member appointed to any office in the Akademi to which a salary or emolument is attached shall lose, for the time being, the privilege of voting.
- To borrow books, plates, drawings, manuscripts, etc., from the library, subject to such
Regulations as may be made by the Council.
- To receive gratis, copies of the proceedings and transactions of the Akademi issued during the continuance of their membership and as such other publications as the Council may decide from time to time, and subject to the discretion of the Council to purchase at a reduced price any of the Akademi’s Publications.
- To communicate papers to be read before the meeting of the Akademi.
- Fellows mentioned under rule 6.2 will enjoy all the privileges barring voting rights and contesting for any office or council positions.
Subscription of Members
Subscription of Full Members (Fellows)
- The annual subscription of a Full Member (Fellow) shall be Rs. 2,000/- per year in addition to the admission fee of Rs.1,000/- paid once at the time of admission. A onetime payment of Rs.10, 000/- by a Full Member (Fellow) shall make the Fellow eligible for Life Membership
- No Full Member (Fellow) whose subscription is in arrears for six months shall be permitted to enjoy the rights or exercise the privileges of a Full Member (Fellow) until he shall have paid up all the arrears due from him.
- Any Full Member (Fellow) of the Akademi may, after he/she shall have paid his admission fee pays an amount of Rs. 10,000/- during one calendar year in a single sum or by installments will qualify for Life Membership.
- The annual subscriptions of all Members shall be payable on the first day of each calendar year.
Subscription to Foreign Fellows
The admission fee for each member shall be US $50 and the annual membership shall be US $100. A onetime payment of US $500 in addition to the admission fee of US $50 is valid for life time.
Subscription of Associate Members (Associate Fellows
- An admission fee of Rs. 500/- shall be due from Associate Member, on election.
- The annual subscription of Associate Member shall be Rs. 1,000/- per year.
- The annual subscription shall be payable on the first day of each calendar year.
- The full subscription of the year for which a person is admitted to Associate Membership shall be due from him on election unless such election has taken place after the 30th of June, in which case only Rs. 500/- shall be due in respect of that year.
- No Associate Member whose subscription is in arrears for six months shall be permitted to enjoy the privileges of such Membership until he shall have paid up all the arrears due from him.
Subscription of Companion Members
- The subscription of a Companion Member (Graduate Member) shall be Rs.500/- per year. There will be no admission fee in respect of Companion Member. A onetime payment of Rs. 3000/- (Rupees three thousand only) in addition to the admission fee will make the Companion Member eligible for Life membership.
- The annual subscription shall be payable on the first day of each calendar year.
- The full subscription of the year in which a person is accepted as Companion Member (Graduate Member) shall be due from him, unless such acceptance has taken place after the 30th June in which case only Rs. 250/- shall be due in respect of that year.
- No Companion member whose subscription is in arrears for six months shall be permitted to enjoy the privileges of such membership.
Subscription of Institutional Members
The annual Institutional Membership (subscription) for each institution / Library/ University shall be Rs. 25,000/- (Rupees twenty five Thousand Only) or a onetime payment of Rs. 2,50,000/- (Rupees two lakh fifty thousand only). In addition there will be an admission fee of Rs.1,000/- (Rs thousand only) for all those admitted under this category.
Cessation of Membership
Any Full Member (Fellow) or Associate Member or Companion Member (Graduate Member) may withdraw by signifying his wish to do so by addressing a letter to the Secretary.
A letter of withdrawal may be cancelled by the Council at the request of the member, if such an application is made within six months and on payment of all sums for which the member would have been liable, had his membership not been interrupted. He shall thereupon recover all rights of his membership without the form of re-election or acceptance as the case may be. In the case of a Full Member (Fellow) or an associate member, the Council shall have power to waive, in special cases the time limit of six months specified above.
Any member, who shall cease to be a member of the Akademi either by voluntary withdrawal or by forfeiture of his membership under Rule 13.4 and 13.7 shall continue liable to the payment of the Annual subscription until he shall have discharged all sums (if any) due by him to the Akademi and shall have returned all books or other property (if any) borrowed by him from the Akademi, or shall have made full compensation for the same, if lost, injured, or not forthcoming.
Full Members (Fellows) who have withdrawn from the Akademi shall be eligible for re-election, and if re-elected, only half of the usual admission fee shall be due from them.
When any member shall have omitted to pay the subscription for one year, the Council shall cause a registered letter to be sent to him/her or directed to his/her last known address informing him/her of the amount of the sums due by him/her and that unless they are paid within six months from the receipt of such letter, his/her name will be struck off the list of members as provided in the next rule.
If he/she omits to pay the amount within the time so limited, his/her name shall be suspended as defaulter at any General Meeting, and unless the amount be paid in the mean time, shall remain so suspended at the Akademi’s office, till the next Annual Meeting when the President shall declare such member to be removed from the Akademi for non-payment. This fact shall be notified in the Annual Report of the Akademi.
If any member shall willfully disobey Rules and order of the Council of the Akademi, or
shall commit willful breach of order at any of the General Meetings, or having unwillingly committed, shall persist any disobedience or breach of order after being admonished by the President or if, for any other reasons it shall appear to the Council that the name of a member should not remain on the rolls, he/she shall be liable to be removed from the Akademi, whenever there shall appear cause, as aforesaid for the removal of a member from the Akademi.
If a majority of the Council shall have after due deliberation, determine by ballot, to propose to the Akademi for the removal of the said member, the President shall at the Annual Meeting of the Akademi, announce from the chair such determination of the Council and at that meeting the proposition shall be submitted to ballot. If three-fourths of the members present at such General Meeting vote for the removal of such member, he/she shall be removed from the Akademi.
Members removed under the operation of the Rule 13.7 shall not be eligible for re-election until the expiration of one year from the date of such removal.
The Council and the Officers
- The election of Officers and other members of the Council shall take place at the Annual General Meeting of the Akademi, once in every three years.
- The Council shall prepare, in accordance with the following procedure a list of names of persons whom they recommend for election as President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer and Editor of Publications.
- The Council shall determine, at the meeting to be held in August the vacancies that will occur amongst the Officers and other members of the Council.
- The list of the Council of the current and two preceding years indicating the vacancies that will be occurring in the ensuing year shall be circulated in August to all Full Members (Fellows) in good standing (whose subscriptions are not in arrears for more than six months), inviting nominations regarding the filling of vacancies to reach the office by the date to be specified by the Council. The consent of the member shall be obtained in writing and sent along with the nomination.
- The nominations received shall be circulated to the members of the Council by a date prescribed by the Council for expression of their views and considered at the meeting of the Council to be held in October and a panel recommended by the Council out of the names suggested.
- The list of nominations received from the members together with the panel recommended by Council shall be printed and a copy of the same is given to each Full member (Fellow) of the Akademi at the Annual General Meeting of the Akademi to be held in December. These voting lists shall have a blank column for such alterations as any Full Member (Fellow) may wish to make. The voting shall be by secret ballot.
- The scrutinizers shall be appointed by the President in consultation with the Council.
- These scrutinizers shall count the voting papers at the next council meeting in January and shall report to the President the names of those having a majority of votes for election as office bearers and other members of the council of the Akademi and these names shall be intimated to the members.
- If any voting paper contains more than the proper number of names or includes the name of candidate who is not eligible, it shall be void for uncertainty and shall not be regarded by the scrutinizers.
- If there be an equal number of votes for any two or more candidates, the scrutinizers shall announce the fact and the President shall proceed to decide by lots which candidate shall have the preference.
Term of Executive Council
A person shall hold the office of the President or Vice-President for a period of three years and is eligible for re-election for a further period of three years.
The Secretary and the Editor or Publications shall hold office in the first instance for a period of three years. The Secretary and Editor of Publications are eligible for re-election of the same office.
The elected members of the Council shall ordinarily hold office for six years. However,
at the end of three years, half the numbers shall retire. The names of retiring members for the first time shall be determined by lots. No retiring members shall be eligible for re-election immediately. Interim vacancies shall be filled by the Council for the unexpired period.
In the event of a vacancy occurring during the year in the office of President, Vice-President and Secretary of the Council, it shall be competent to the remaining members of the Council to fill up such vacancy from among them-selves. The Council may for specified reasons co-opt additional members, as occasion may require.The Council as constituted in accordance with these Rules shall continue to be in office notwithstanding that their period of office may have, in fact, expired, until their successors have been duly appointed.
Absence of Officers
In the absence of President for whatever cause, his duties will devolve on the. Vice-President nominated by the President for the purpose.
In the absence from Headquarters of the Secretary, the President shall designates one of the members of the Council to continue the function of Secretary until his return to the Head quarters, subject to the confirmation of the Council at the first opportunity. Such member of the Council shall be entitled to sign papers for Secretary.
The Power and the Duties of the Council
The powers and duties of the Council shall be as follows
- To manage the affairs of the Akademi, and for such purpose to make such regulations as may to them appear conducive to the good administration of the Akademi and the attainment of the aims and objectives of its foundation, provided always that such regulations be not inconsistent with anything contained in these Rules and that they be subject to rescission or alteration by the General Body.
- To consider all communications to the Akademi and in the case of those to be submitted to General Meeting, to determine the order and manner of such submission.
- To superintend and direct the publication of the periodical or other work published by the Akademi.
- 1To appoint staff in accordance with the sanctioned budget as and when necessary; to define their duties, allowances, salaries, gratuities and privileges; and to suspend or dismiss them or dispense with their services, as occasion may require.
- To sanction in special cases additional posts and grants outside the sanctioned budget subject to confirmation by the next subsequent general meeting.
- To exchange for other property or otherwise dispose of such a manner as may, in their opinion, best conduce to advance the objects and interests of the Akademi, any duplicate books, maps, specimens etc., belonging to the Akademi.
- To prepare and submit to the General Meeting, a Report on the general concerns of the Akademi. Such report shall set forth an audited statement of Accounts including the income and expenditure for the year ending 31st March, the balance in hand, the debit and assets, the estimated income and expenditure of the succeeding year, the prosperity or otherwise of the Akademi and the progress of the Library. The Report shall also include an Abstract of the Proceedings of the Council during the year.
- The Council shall be empowered, subject to the sanction of the General Meeting, to take legal proceedings for the recovery of any sums due by the members, who after receiving due notice of their liabilities, shall refuse or fail to discharge them.
Powers and Duties of the President
The powers and duties of the President shall be as follows
- To preside over all the meetings of the Akademi and of the Council and to regulate the proceedings at such meetings.
- To ensure due effect being given to these Rules, and to the Regulations, made by the Council.
- To preside over all meetings of Committees appointed by the Council if he so desires.
- In the case of doubt as to the interpretation of any of these Rules, the President’s interpretations shall be final.
Duties of the Secretary
The duties of the Secretary shall be as follows:
- To conduct the correspondence of the Akademi and of the Council and to sign all letters and papers emanating from the Akademi except in so far as other provision is made in these Rules.
- To attend the meetings of the Akademi and of the Council. To take minutes of the proceedings of such meeting during the progress, and at the commencement of every such meeting, to read the minutes of the previous meeting.
- At the General Meetings, to announce the presents made to the Akademi since their last meeting, to read the names of candidates for membership, the original papers communicated and the letters addressed to the Akademi.
- To prepare for submission to the Annual General Meeting a list of members corrected to the close of the previous year.
- To enter or cause to be entered in the minute–books all the Proceedings of the Akademi and of the Council before the following meeting and to see that all letters and papers and documents of every kind connected with the business of the Akademi are properly filled and preserved.
- To exercise general supervision over the ministerial staff and servants and affairs of the Akademi and to assist in carrying out these Rules and the Regulations and orders made by the Council.
- To be Ex-Officio Member Convener of all Committees appointed by the Council unless any other member is appointed as convener for such a Committee.
Duties of the Treasurer
The duties of the Treasurer shall be as follows
- The treasurer shall receive and hold for the use of the Akademi all moneys paid to the Akademi.
- To disburse sums due from the Akademi and keep exact accounts for all such receipts and payments.
- Disbursements exceeding Rs. 1,00,000/- shall be made only by the order of the Council or the Finance Committee(FC).
- An imprest money to the tune of Rs.10,000/- be released to the Asst. Secretary, APAS for meeting day to day expenses which will be recouped against submission of bills.
- To prepare a list of names of those members who may be in arrears of their subscription for six months or more and to submit it for the orders of Council at the next Council meeting.
Duties of the Editor of Publications
The duties of the Editor of Publications shall be as follows
- To edit the publications, books and journals of the Akademi.
- To be responsible for the preparation and printing of publications of the Akademi.
- To have the right of direct correspondence with the authors and with the press.
Meetings of the Akademi
The General Meetings of the Akademi shall be as follows:
- Executive Council meetings (ECM)
- Annual General Body Meeting (AGBM)
- Extraordinary General Body Meeting (EGBM)
- The EC Meeting will be held at least once in every three months.
- The Annual General Body Meeting will be held once in a year.
- The extraordinary General Body meetings will be held as per rule 26.
Rules for Meetings of the Akademi
The following Rules shall be applicable to all General Meetings of the Akademi.
- One fourth of total number of Full Members (Fellows) shall constitute a quorum for all General Meetings.
- The president or in his absence the Vice-President or in his absence, a member of the Council elected by the members present shall take the chair.
- The business of each meeting shall be proceeded within the order hereinafter prescribed in Rules 24 and 25 provided always, that, on written notice being given by a member to the President or the Secretary not less than 48 hours before the hour of meeting, a motion for the immediate transaction of urgent business may be made; and if such motion be seconded and carried, this Rule shall be suspended.
- With the exception mentioned in the last rule, clause 23.3 any other items to be proposed by a member require a written notice of one week before the meeting at which the subject is to be disposed.
- All motions and amendments, except those emanating from the Council, shall require to be seconded, otherwise they cannot be put. Amendments must be in writing, unless excused by the President. Not more than a single amendment to the original motion shall be laid before the meeting at one time. When any such amendment has been negated or has been allowed to take place of the original motion, other amendments involving fresh point may be proposed.
- The usual method of voting shall be by show of hands, provided always that the votes on any particular subject may be taken by ballot, on a motion to that effect duly carried; and in the cases especially provided for by these Rules and votes shall be so taken.
- The President decision on the show of hands shall be final, unless a division be called for. It should be competent to any Full Member (Fellow) present to call for a division.
- The President shall not vote with the rest of the meeting, except in the case of election of members of the Council, but when the votes for and against are equal, he shall have a casting vote.
- Any Full Member (Fellow) shall have the right of recording dissent together with the reasons for the same against a decision of the majority upon any question at a meeting.
Order of business of meetings:
The order of business at such meeting shall be as follows:-
- The minutes of the last meeting shall be read and confirmed after correction, if necessary, and signed by the President.
- Full members (Fellows) present who have not signed the Enrolment Register shall do so and shall in addition be presented to the President.
- The presents made to the Akademi since the last meeting shall be announced and exhibited.
- Such business as is necessary in connection with the election of members according to the Regulations framed by the Council shall be transacted.
- Notice of intended motions shall be given.
- Deferred items of the previous meeting and such items for which due notice was given shall be disposed of save as provided in this clause and in rule 23.3.
- Matters of current business and routine shall be disposed of. If any question arises as to whether any particular question in one of current business and routine it shall be decided by the President.
- Reports and communications from the Council shall be submitted for consideration.
- Papers and communications received by the Akademi shall be read in the order prescribed by the Council.
- The President shall announce the names of new Full Members (Fellows), if any, elected at the meeting and invite those present to complete formalities of Rule 10.
- he President shall have the power, when he considers that the meeting has been unduly prolonged to order any uncompleted business, except that provided for in clause 10 of this rule to stand over to the next meeting.
Annual General Body Meeting:
The Annual General Meeting of the Akademi shall be held under the following rules and for the transactions of the following business:-
The meeting shall be held at such places and on such dates as Council may decide. If the quorum be not present the meeting shall stand adjourned until a date / time to be decided by the President.
Notice of the hour and date at which the meeting is to be held, and the place of the meeting, and of the business to be transacted thereat, shall be given to members not less than two weeks before the date of the meeting.
The business to be transacted at the meeting shall be
To elect the Office-Bearers and members of the Council at the business session at which only the Full Members (Fellows) will be present and to induct the new Office-Bearers and members of the Council.
To consider the Annual Report prepared by the Council and Audited Accounts of the Akademi.
To transact other business for which notice has been given as provided for in clause (25.2).
Extra-Ordinary General Body Meeting:
The following rules shall be applicable to the extraordinary general meeting:
Such meeting may be convened by the President at the request of six members of the Council or by a requisition signed by not less than 20 Full Members (Fellows) stating the special business for which Extra-ordinary General Meeting should be convened.
Notice of the day and hour of the meeting and of the special business to be transacted thereat, shall be given to the members not less than one week before the date of the meeting.
No business other than that included in the notice shall be transacted at such a meeting.
Funds and Accounts of the Akademi:
The account and vouchers of the receipts and expenditure of the Akademi shall be subject to the examination of the Council at such intervals as the Council may prescribe, and shall be subject to the annual audit. Separate account shall be kept of all funds administered by the Akademi on behalf of Government. The Annual Statement of Account, shall after professional audit, be incorporated in the Report of the Akademi.
All sums received from Full Members (Fellows) as Compounding Fees shall be regularly invested by the Treasurer as soon as possible after the receipts thereof and only the interest accruing there from shall be considered available for the general expenditure of the Akademi.
All securities and moneys, the property of the Akademi shall be lodged for safe custody in the Andhra Bank / State Bank of India or in any Nationalized Bank.
All Cheques drawn on the bank shall be jointly signed by any two of the following office bearers of the Finance committee of the Akademi; namely a) President, b) Secretary and c) Treasurer.
- Any changes in these rules adopted by General Body of the Akademi will be informed to the Government of Andhra Pradesh.
- No amendment or alteration shall be made in these rules of the Akademi unless it is voted by 2/3 of members present at a meeting convened for the purpose and confirmed by 2/3 of the members present at second special meeting.
- The State Government shall be informed about the appointment of auditors from time to time.